Tuesday, March 11, 2008


A Prayer for my Mom, JoAnn Grady Cross


Dear Heavenly Father,
Thank you, Lord, for answering my most important prayer of these past few difficult months. When it was time for you to come for my mom, she did not suffer any pain.
Thank you, Lord, for the long life my mother was blessed with. Thank you for the happiness she gave and received and the joy she found in her family.
As you prepare my mother’s place in eternity, Lord, please remember that she loved to play Bridge, to work crossword puzzles, to watch basketball, and to look at pictures of her family. She loved her pony, Billy Prince, and her dogs Red, Fritz, Peggy, Tony, Duke, Reggie and Roddy. She’d be so happy to see them all again.
Remember also, Lord, that when my mom was born to Anna and Clair, she was supposed to be a boy, so she was often called Johnny, and that’s OK.
My mom had many good friends, but most importantly she was a good friend. She was my best friend. Please, Lord, give her a good friend to laugh with and do girl stuff with until I get there.
My mom was love, and kindness, and patience, and forgiveness, and laughter. She was totally unselfish. She really loved to smile and laugh. I hope you let her laugh a lot in Heaven.
Thank you, Lord, for choosing JoAnn to be my mom and Michael’s mom, too. I couldn’t imagine not having Mike for a big brother. Thank you for choosing her to be Grandma to all five of my children and Michael’s two children and to all the great-grandchildren.
My mom taught me to play tennis, softball, badminton, and golf. She took me fishing and baited my hook. Mom played Canasta with me and taught me to drive a car. But more important than all these things, Lord, she believed in me and forgave me. She taught me how to be a mother and a grandmother.
Mom loved the Lutheran Church. You know, Lord, she was a good Lutheran. She loved her seven grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren - every one of them. Mom loved her parents and her sister, June. She loved Tom and Betty. For 68 years she loved my dad. She loved Michael and, thank you, Lord, for having her love me.
Please, Lord, help us to say goodbye to my Mom today. Be with each of us here today and give us comfort in knowing that she is at peace with you for eternity. Please help us to become better Christians because of her example.
And Lord, please give her a hug for me and tell her how much I love her and that I’ll miss her every moment of the rest of my life until we are together again. In Jesus name we pray this prayer for my mom, JoAnn Eloise Grady Cross. Amen.

Chris Finland3-12-08

No comments: